Church and the War Memorial
ST MARK’S CHURCH
The church, designed by architect James Medland Taylor, was built in the 1887s by the Bestwood Coal and Iron Company, at a cost of £1,746. Paid for by the Lancaster family and the Duke of St Albans who also donated ½ acre of land for the church to be built and additionally gave land for the cemetery.
The first service was held on the evening of Saturday 7th May 1887. The Bishop of Southwell (Dr Ridding) was the preacher, The Rector of Bestwood (The Rev. A.S.Hawthorne) assisted. A licence for the Solemnisation of Marriage, however, was not granted until 19th October 1946.
THE WAR MEMORIAL
Built of Portland Stone the Grade II memorial was unveiled by Lord Osborne Beauclerk in 1921 in remembrance of those fallen in the Great War and the Second World War. It forms the focus of the remembrance day commemorations in the village every November.