School and Schoolhouse
HAWTHORNE PRIMARY SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
The original Bestwood School, which was located behind Park Road, was replaced in 1878 by Hawthorne Primary School on School Walk on land donated by the Duke of St Albans and named after the Rev Hawthorne, catering for children aged between 3 and 13 years. With a rise in village population a new school has been built, north of the village. The old school building is now ‘locally listed’ by Gedling Borough Council, and listed as an asset of community interest.
The school house (now a private residence) was occupied by head teachers and teachers from 1889 to 1974. A teacher was replaced by a teaching assistant to pay for the building.